Surviving “need it now” social media campaign turnaround… Oh, and jerks.
I agreed to the marketing project on the 16th, got the details on the 19th, and had all copywriting submitted by the 24th. We went live on the 29th after a few quick rounds of editing, and starting promoting like the Dickens that morning. Results? A post in VentureBeat here, a Women 2.0 guest post there, a few other media pub highlights, and good community conversation with our hashtag, #HiddenBiasIT.
My only real frustration:
Working with the Level Playing Field Institute on their copywriting needs and social media strategy was a blast, and I can’t thank Freada and Allison enough. Also, they have a dog-friendly office. More orgs need this perk.
How did I keep this project relatively low-stress?
- I set expectations: From day 1, I made sure to understand what they needed and what I’d deliver.
- I made a realistic assessment of how much time it would take me. Not the “In an Ideal World” assessment, the “Holy Carp! I’m launching a show on Thursday, need to sell out another in the next two weeks, and I should probably go running at some point” assessment.
- I used Google docs for everyone to follow along with, and sent frequent updates via email to keep the group on the same page.
- I made myself available. It was a quick turnaround, and I made sure to check email frequently enough to get back to the team within a reasonable amount of time.
- I hustled.
Every time I take a project, I follow a similar pattern. It keeps me sane.